So I did just that. I unraveled them, switched to size 0 dpns, switched to a 12 stitch sock pattern, and recalculated the cast on. And I have the most pretty socks in progress! I am very pleased with them and I think they will be gorgeous when finished. The pretty yarn looks good in the pattern because it's not too complicated or lacy. I hate to see a busy variegated yarn used in an equally busy pattern. So it's simple but elegant. The only worry is the tightness of the pattern and whether it will fit over my foot. I tested last night and it seemed to work with a little pulling and it's always harder when on the needles still, so it should work. I have a few more pattern repeats before I start the heel.
I love socks!